Eligible applicants include families receiving:
- Comprehensive Social Security Assistance
- Full/three quarter/half subsidy of Financial Assistance Schemes for Students
- Low-income Families Allowance
- Special cases referred by social workers or social welfare organizations
Low-income family definition:
Monthly household income of different household sizes (i.e. 1-person, 2 person…) is less than or equal to 60% of the median of the monthly household income of the same household size in Hong Kong.
Upon assessment of the applicant’s financial status, the applicant’s monthly household income must conform to the above stated Low-income family definition. MCF will refer to the Median Monthly Domestic Household Income by Household Size survey conducted at regular intervals by the Hong Kong Census and Statistics Department (see Table 1). The monthly household income of the applicant must not exceed the corresponding entry as stipulated in the table.
Table1*: Median Monthly Domestic Household Income (update on regular basis)
|Number of members||
Median Monthly Domestic Household Income (HKD)
(4th Quarter, 2019)
|1||$8,900 ==> 60% = $5,340|
|2||$20,200 ==> 60% = $12,120|
|3||$34,000 ==> 60% = $20,400|
|4||$43,400 ==> 60% = $26,040|
|5||$45,500 ==> 60% = $27,300|
|6 or above||$45,400 ==> 60% = $27,240|
*Domestic households by household size and monthly household income (excluding foreign domestic helpers) (Table 9.4A in Quarterly Report on General Household Survey)
In spite of the abovementioned regulations, if an applicant is under special social and financial adverse conditions, or referred by a registered social welfare agent, MCF will consider the application on a discretionary basis. MCF reserves the rights to make the final decisions.
Assessment of household income and assets (1) of the applicant will be based on the family as a unit that includes the applicant and all the core members of the family living together. Core members include the applicant’s parents (2), offspring (2), spouse, and dependent siblings (under age 18, full-time student age 18-25, disabled adult (3)).
Household income includes:
Salary, pension, core members of the family living together with financial sponsorships from relatives or friends, assets and/or income generated from assets of core members of the family living together, all fixed income and/or compensation of all kinds.
Financial assistance from the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Employment Encouragement Transportation Subsidy Scheme, Low-income Families Allowance, and Social Security Allowance Scheme – General disability allowance, High disability allowance, Ordinary elderly living allowance, and High elderly living allowance), subsidies from Care Fund Assistance Project will not be counted as household income.
(1) Financial scrutiny includes the applicant and core members of the family living together (parents, offspring, spouse, and dependent siblings).
(2) Legally recognized adopted parents/children relationships, step-children with proof of parents/children relationships.
(3) Disabled adult siblings receiving disability allowance under the Social Security Allowance Scheme; ill-health/disabled adult aged under 65 who are 100% disabled and/or requiring constant attendance receiving standard rates assistance under the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance Scheme.