(1) What courses are available? What kind of instruments will be taught in the classes?
Jockey Club Music Children Fruit Programme
Jockey Club Music Children Fruit Programme targets to serve children from underprivileged families aged between 6 to 12. Music Children Foundation hopes to cultivate musical sense, establish performance technique and improve the ability to concentrate for these children.
This Programme offers free instrumental and choir training, including music knowledge, performance skills, choral training etc. Currently, instruments available for students include string (violin, viola, cello, double bass), woodwind (flute, saxophone, clarinet, oboe, bassoon), brass (trumpet, trombone, french horn, euphonium, tuba) and percussion. Students will be assigned their instrument by their tutors upon completion and assessment of “Demonstration and Trial” classes.
In order to enhance music knowledge, it also offers music appreciation and performance. Apart from regular music classes, it also offers various performance opportunities for its students, with the aim to improve their self-confidence, sense of responsibility, and the ability to collaborate with others.
(2) When will students be admitted?
We accept new application every year from May. Eligible applicants will be invited to take an interview, for both parents and children, in June to July. All successful applicants will start the class in September.
(3) What are the application criteria?
Applicants should fulfil the requirements under low-income families stated by the Hong Kong government, or are families with special needs (e.g. single-parent family or cases referred by school teachers or social workers).
Applicants must be aged between 6 to 12 years old, preferably primary students.
Low-income families are defined as under 60% median income level of the respective household size. For details, please refer to application criteria.
Applicants must be aged between 1 to 12 years old.
(4) How can I apply?
During the recruitment period, you may visit the office of Music Children Foundation within our office hours to attain an application form, or download the enrolment form from the website. One application form and supporting documents are required for each individual child. The completed application form should be submitted in person at the following locations. All incomplete application will not be handled without prior notice.
Application collection location:
Music Children Foundation (5D, Wing Hong Factory Building, 777 Yu Chau West Street, Cheung Sha Wan)
Collection time: Tuesday to Friday, 2:00pm to 6:00pm
Note: Our staff will check whether all supporting documents have been submitted. Please reserve time.
(5) Is it a must to apply in-person? Can I send the application form by post or authorize another person to submit the form on my behalf?
Yes. Parents of applicants must apply in-person. Our staff will verify whether all supporting documents have been submitted and whether application criteria is fulfilled. If supporting documents are not completely submitted, we have the right to refuse to handle such application.
(6) What supporting documents are required?
Applicants must submit ALL supporting documents upon application. Applicants need to bring both the original AND the copy of all documents for review purpose. Otherwise, your application will not be handled without prior notice.
- Birth certificate of the child or ID card AND parents’ identification document (including Hong Kong Identity Card or Two-way Permit, etc.) ; and
- Proof of social security assistance, or proof of full, 3/4, half textbook allowance; and
- Bank book (inside pages) of both parents with name and bank account number, bank statement/records of financial condition for the latest 6 months. If bank statement is not available, income proof of other means must be provided (e.g. salary pay slip);
(for year of 2023-2024 application, please submit bank records of November 2022 to April 2023 for assessment); and
- address proof (e.g. lease contract, utility bills etc.); and
- Student handbook (i.e. the page with student photo and family information); and
- Social Worker referral letter (if any); and
- One student photo (about 5 cm x 2. 5 cm) – Please write down the name and telephone number of the child
Offers and enrolments
(7) How will the organization contact me for further notification?
- Upon verification of application, applicants will receive WhatsApp message for arrangement of interviews. If applicants fail to attend interviews at the scheduled time, his/her application will be regarded as failed.
- Here is the application process summary:
May Collection of application
May-June Internal Assessment of application
August Result announcement
September New class commencement
(8) When will I be notified after interview?
In most cases, applicants will receive notification through WhatsApp within 6-8 weeks after interview.
(9) If my application is unsuccessful, will the supporting documents be returned to me?
Supporting documents submitted to the organization WILL NOT be returned to the applicants. Documents collected will be destroyed within half year.
(10) Can I apply again next year if my application is not successful this year? Do I need to submit the supporting documents again?
Since our student quota and number of application are different every year, parents are welcomed to apply again for their children if application is not successful at an earlier time. However, parents will have to re-submit all supporting documents as well as the application form.
(11) Can we apply if my child have studied other musical instruments at other institutions?
In order to make the best use of resources, we will give priority to those children who have not learned musical instruments before. If your child is being trained on another instrument, kindly leave the opportunity to other children who have not had the opportunity to learn the instrument.
(12) My/my spouse’s salary is given out by cash so I have no income proof. What should I do?
To ensure all applicants are from low-income families, we will need salary proof issued by the employer if applicant’s salary is given out by cash.
(13) If my family income is over the required level but my child really wants to join, can I pay to join the classes?
Our organization is a non-profit organization which serves only families with low-income at the moment.
(14) How can I reflect my opinion on your classes?
We welcome parents reflect their views about our services. Please send us your thoughts via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .